[OSGeo-Discuss] presenting open source software or open source projects

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 10:16:10 PDT 2017

I am going to grab a couple quotes from the other email thread:

   - Maria: *Our projects are much more than pieces of code. Behind our
   software there are communities*
   - Ben passing on: "Jon Kuperman‏ @jkup Stop treating open source like a
   product you purchased and start treating it like a team you belong to."
   https://twitter.com/jkup/status/909887066103676928
   - Ben:  *We offer something that proprietary GIS never can: the
   opportunity to join a community of peers.*

I strongly agree with these statements; I think we have to present a list
of open source projects (rather than software) or we would not be doing
good outreach.

 Educating non-community members about this aspect - that open source is a
team, rather than a technology should be taken on from the very first page.

Steve, if the discussion list can come to an agreement here, I would like
to ask for phrasing to use when restoring the home page to
"choose-a-project". It will be challenging to word in a way that
communicates well.

(I also note the above quotes would be excellent for a "why open source"
page)

--
Jody Garnett