[OSGeo-Discuss] open repository for general research GIS data ?

Jonathan Moules jonathan-lists at lightpear.com
Mon Apr 2 03:15:00 PDT 2018

Hi Karsten,
There seem to be a lot to choose from, the question is - how special is
spatial in this context? - http://oad.simmons.edu/oadwiki/Data_repositories
And - https://www.opensciencedatacloud.org/publicdata/

Background reading -
https://cos.io/about/news/open-science-framework-now-recommended-repository-nature-publishing-group/

Ideally open data should be somewhere it can be easily found, and even
more ideally, the metadata harvest-able via an API so third-parties can
readily find it.
This is important because it doesn't matter if the data is out there if
no-one can find it. Right now we have literally hundreds (maybe
thousands) of institutional CKAN/DKAN installs globally, all with their
own disparate datasets. And then all of the aforementioned open-data
repositories, many of which have probably rolled their own APIs.

This is a problem I'm trying to solve with GeoSeer
(https://www.geoseer.net) - it's a search engine for public OGC services
(WMS, WFS, WCS, WMTS) that brings many of those datasets (over 450,000
so far) into a single place. Over time I plan on adding other types of
GIS data to it, but that of course is contingent on being able to
reliably and automatically find it.

Cheers,
Jonathan