[OSGeo-Discuss] Fwd: [OSGeo-Announce] OSGeo UN Committee Educational Challenge

Maria Antonia Brovelli maria.brovelli at polimi.it
Tue Apr 3 01:35:56 PDT 2018

Dear Christian

Thanks for your interest; here my answers.

1. Why is this call connected to the UN, if they do not sponsor it?

Because OSGeo is partner of an Initiative leaded by UN (UN Open GIS Initiative, you find the link to the initiative in the call).

2. And this is a more basic thing about OSGeo itself. The "Criteria for evaluation" states as first criteria "Proposer is an OSGeo Charter Member".

May I ask how do you came to this criteria? Was it maybe an arbitrary decision? Or did thought about this? If you thought about this, I would be very interested in your arguments for having this criteria?

Charter members are "special" members of OSGeo and every year we have, as Community, the nomination of the new Charter members.

They participate to the OSGeo elections (and therefore vote for OSGeo governance) and

Promote OSGeo through the use of FOSS4G tools
Register as an OSGeo Member See Getting Started
Take active part in OSGeo Mailing Lists
Hack the OSGeo Wiki
Help build a stronger OSGeo community through interactions with academia, businesses and research organizations
Help organize workshops, trainings, conferences related to FOSS4G
Find an opportunity/reason to wear an OSGeo T-shirt
Ask good questions and provide answers when possible

(https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_charter_member_page_instruction)

Obviously this criteria was thought, exactly like the other parts of the Call (it has taken a lot of time in thinking and discussing). We want to award people with a recognisable role in our community but we don't exclude the other people.

For me personally this means, I can not take part in this challenge, because I never saw a sense in becoming a charter member of OSGeo. Also, I never saw / read the OSGeo Charter, and I am also not able to find it via google, may you help me with a link here?

Here the Membership Process.

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Membership_Process .

In any case, you can participate to the Challenge, because it is not mandatory to be a Charter Member. Being a Charter Member gives you 10 scores, but everybody is free of participating.

Thank you and best regards,
Christian

Thank to you.

Best regards

Maria

Have a good reading:

https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007%2F978-3-319-65633-5.pdf

Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli
Professor of GIS and Digital Mapping
Politecnico di Milano

P.zza Leonardo da Vinci, 32 - Building 3 - 20133 Milano (Italy)
Tel. +39-02-23996242 - Mob. +39-328-0023867,  <mailto:maria.brovelli at polimi.it> maria.brovelli at polimi.it