[OSGeo-Discuss] Is GIS special?

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Sun Apr 22 17:48:49 PDT 2018

Hi Patrick,

I fully agree on the importance of GIS for us to advance as a civilisation. GIS is a key educational tool for spatial thinking and global awareness.Spatial thinking and global awareness are fundamental to helping us find solutions for the climate change tsunami that is approaching . The innovative solutions to help mitigate climate change will need to come from the collective wisdom of everyone. It will be the students of today (from  Africa to Uruguay) who will help us find the answers to these climate change challenges and unless we provide opportunities for all students globally  to get quality education opportunities, we will not progress . Digital technologies provide great hope and opportunities for providing quality education  opportunities for all , so it is important artificial barriers like high cost properitery licences should not be used to build digital divides.

Students who learn to share their knowledge and  outputs for the benefit of the global good will learn to contribute to Open Principles in education for the future… It will then help spreading the importance of kindness and sharing values to help create a world that is more accessible, equitable and full of innovation and opportunities for everyone.

Best wishes,

Suchith