[OSGeo-Discuss] Diversity in FOSS4G

Jonathan Moules jonathan-lists at lightpear.com
Sun Aug 12 02:58:31 PDT 2018

 >  No, this is not a dismissal based on opinions. It is based on facts.
This paper falls into the "correlation does not imply causation"
fallacy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation

You will find it is rarely the case that a peer-reviewed scientific
paper in what is one of the most influential journals in its field
(Psychology in this case) can be dismissed so readily.

I suspect you have not read it. Given it's behind a paywall, the entire
paper is available via sci-hub: https://sci-hub.mu/10.1177/0956797617741719

As you can see if you read it, it only states the correlation, there is
no causation. Indeed, it too like you, I, and most folks expected
different results, that's why they called it the
"educational-gender-equality paradox". It's a paradox - it's doing the
opposite of what is expected - it's quite literally in the title of the
paper.

The core of the paper:

"One of the main findings of this study is that, para-
doxically, countries with lower levels of gender equality
had relatively more women among STEM graduates than
did more gender-equal countries. This is a paradox,
because gender-equal countries are those that give girls
and women more educational and empowerment oppor-
tunities and that generally promote girls’ and women’s
engagement in STEM fields (e.g., Williams & Ceci, 2015)."

They do try and take a guess as to what the reason is for this
(causation), but they make it clear it's just a guess (a "suggestion" as
it's phrased). That doesn't change the core correltation of the paper:
that given more education and empowerment, women choose against STEM.

Or put even more simply: given equal opportunity, it appears men and
women preferentially choose different careers.

 > You can aim for 37%, I will still aim for 50%

I don't have any aim at all in this beyond 100% of people having equal
opportunity to choose whatever career they wish, and I believe FOSS4G
and OSGeo should have a similar aim. Anything else will be a dis-service
to people of both genders.