[OSGeo-Discuss] Diversity in FOSS4G

Jonathan Moules jonathan-lists at lightpear.com
Sun Aug 12 03:24:52 PDT 2018

> That's the thing: they jump into that conclusion with biased
> prejudices. Right now, we don't have equal opportunity anywhere in the
> world. Not women, not PoC. You are proving me right, they are biased!

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/tools/lp/Bo/LogicalFallacies/169/Strawman-Fallacy

The paper clearly does *not* say "these countries are equal" (your
Strawman) it says "the more equal a country is, the fewer women go into
STEM" and it has over 400,000 data points behind that assertion.
If you can prove they are biased, you are encouraged to get a
peer-reviewed paper published to that effect - it would likely set you
onto a career in either psychology or gender studies.

I'm sorry, but if you're going to dismiss a peer-reviewed scientific
paper out of hand without reading it because it disagrees with your
world-views there's no point in continuing this conversation.
I would also suggest it's worth reading:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias