[OSGeo-Discuss] Diversity in FOSS4G

Ben Caradoc-Davies ben at transient.nz
Mon Aug 13 16:45:41 PDT 2018

Adam,

I do not care for Stoet and Geary's attempt to explain the correlation
they found, but their statistics are harder to dismiss. Anyone arguing
for quantitative measures such as equality of gender outcome will need
to address this quantitative evidence and explain how OSGeo might be
able to overcome this wider cultural bias. While I admire the
determination of those aiming for equal gender representation, I do not
think this should be OSGeo policy.

I continue to be disheartened by women not choosing or not remaining in
STEM careers, despite improved gender equality. I believe (without
evidence) that career choice is culturally determined, but then why do
so many women leave STEM careers?

When I was a union delegate, I supported through a personal grievance
process a senior woman scientist from an ethnic minority who had been
subjected to severe workplace bullying by a white male clique and their
enablers, both male and female. I am more than willing to believe
María's description of an "unfriendly environment". But is STEM worse
than other disciplines? By comparison, in my country, the legal
profession is currently under scrutiny for endemic workplace sexual
harassment of both women and men. Despite the majority of law graduates
being women, there is a high exit rate for women and low representation
at the senior level, which is almost exclusively dominated by men. Is it
the money? Do highly-paid disciplines attract the worst people, or make
them? I do not know.

I think that the best thing that OSGeo can do is to continue to support
the "stubborn women" we have, especially those in leadership positions,
because they are great role models for all. While women will likely
continue to be underrepresented, at least we can ensure that we have
enough diversity of role models that no one considering a career in open
source GIS is discouraged. Keynotes are an important opportunity for
role models to be visible.

Kind regards,
Ben.

On 14/08/18 00:38, adam steer wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I appreciate this topic arising. I appreciate the efforts of the FOSS4G Dar
> committee; and the reasons for their decisions. I also appreciate that the
> FOSS4G Asia LOC have a different operating environment and look forward to
> hearing about their drivers. And I appreciate discussion about various
> factors affecting diversity and audiences. From FOSS4G Oceania experience
> it’s not an easy discussion to get right - I hope we all make the best
> effort we can.
>
> I also want to avoid papering over a substantially disheartening part of
> this particular e-mail conversation.
>
> Earlier in this discussion thread a research paper was rolled out as
> evidence that women choose to do STEM less; with the argument following
> that aiming for levels of attendance and speakership at FOSS4G conferences
> which represent the population is over-reach; and then a few people jumping
> on the sciencing wagon.
>
> So I read the paper. …and I'm puzzled that in 2018, such a work would be
> latched onto and held up as truth without question. I would certainly not
> try to use it as a platform to base a solid argument on.
>
> What was more disappointing is that this work was repeatedly held up as
> canon and defended, as a counter to Maria’s patient attempts to inject some
> living experience into discussion about a topic on which she has invested
> vast time and energy (and whose initial assessment of the work was actually
> completely correct)!
>
> A great first step to increase diversity and inclusion would be to avoid
> this type of top down lecturing and engage with experience - and then
> listen. To stories like Vicky’s. To the experience of Maria and Maria; to
> the committee from FOSS4G Asia who have made choices for reasons we don’t
> know; and from FOSS4G in Dar, who made choices for very clear reasons
> because they were able to; and aimed to have a specific impact (which I
> hope, has worked).
>
> Back to lurking now..
>
> Adam

Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben at transient.nz>