[OSGeo-Discuss] Earth Observation for Conservation and Biodiversity applications

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Dec 31 22:56:01 PST 2018

Dear colleagues,

Happy New Year 2019.

The United Nations Millennium Ecosystem Assessment states: “ecosystems are critical to human well being - to our health, our prosperity, our security, and to our social and cultural identity.” Conservation and biodiversity management play important roles in maintaining healthy ecosystems. Earth observations can help with these efforts.

NASA’s Applied Remote Sensing Training Program will be providing a webinar series in January 2019 on how to use satellite imagery for Conservation & Biodiversity applications. This online webinar series introduces participants to the use of satellite data for conservation and biodiversity applications. The series will highlight specific projects that have successfully used satellite data. Examples include:

  *   monitoring chimpanzee habitat loss
  *   decreasing whale mortality
  *   detecting penguins
  *   monitoring wildfires
  *   biodiversity observation networks

This Webinar is open and you can register or find out more at  https://arset.gsfc.nasa.gov/land/webinars/conservation-biodiversity-2018

Earth Observations and geo technologies will play a key role to guide policy and improve conservation efforts around the world. Please share our resources with all for enabling Geo education opportunities for everyone https://www.osgeo.org/foundation-news/please-share-geoforall-teaching-research-resources-colleagues-students/

I am grateful to everyone who works for Open Principles in Science and Education globally. I wish you all a successful new year.

Best wishes,

Suchith

attachment.

where permitted by law.