[OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4G 2018 sponsorship

SERGIO ACOSTAYLARA sergio.acostaylara at mtop.gub.uy
Mon Feb 26 07:02:40 PST 2018

Stefano, certainly you are NOT the only one. In the past I have expressed my concern about this fact. It's as if Monsanto were sponsoring an organic food event. I don't think ESRI (or Google or IBM or others) approaches OSGeo innocently. This approach should make OSGeo more alert. And distrust their intentions. I remember that some years ago ESRI did not let gvSIG people even assist an ESRI conference. And now what has changed? That the FOSS4G movement is now "cool". So it makes these companies present themselves as OS ("we support the OS movement, we even sponsor their events", even "we are OS") and it is easier for them to enter certain places (later it is more difficult for them to leave). Maybe these companies should be asked something more than money in exchange for sponsoring the FOSS4G. And see how far they can get with that support to the FOSS4G movement...

​

Sergio Acosta y Lara
Departamento de Geomática
Dirección Nacional de Topografía