[OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4G 2018 sponsorship

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Mon Feb 26 10:06:01 PST 2018

Hi Stefano,

It is hard to add points here that aren't covered by the responses from
all of the community leaders speaking here (even just considering
everyone's backgrounds who are speaking here is quite fascinating, and a
great sign of our passion for FOSS4G).

I only want to encourage this sharing, sharing your thoughts, asking
questions and listening.  I think you asked a good question, that is
quite healthy to discuss here with the community.

To be honest, when Venka, Markus and I first discussed creating a global
"FOSS4G" event in 2004 we really had no idea where it would take us, or
how it would go on to change the whole industry and spread across the
whole globe.  But how did that happen?  Was it because we were so
structured in what we required for a FOSS4G?  Opposite in fact: it
spread because of our passion and openness: everyone from anywhere was
welcome to share, laugh, learn, and be open.

I have personally moved my efforts from the global events to the smaller
regional FOSS4G events, but the OSGeo Conference Committee is doing a
good job in managing the FOSS4G-global process. Can things be
improved/adapted as we all grow together?  Absolutely!  And part of that
is talking and sharing ideas and concerns.

I find that when the topic of money comes up things become very
delicate.  OSGeo Boards have been discussing sponsorship and revenue for
a long time, and it is not easy as the OSGeo foundation needs money for
infrastructure, but where should that revenue come from, should it come
from a big global FOSS4G, or some other source?  Sponsorship is just one
way (and we can always improve on those sponsorship requirements too).

Your question brings up more and more questions.  And I don't have the
answers.  But talking about this is a good thing, as it shows that you
and the community members care.

Please though know that you are not alone, you are big part of the
passionate OSGeo community and your voice matters.

Thanks for this, I really appreciate hearing from you and everyone else.

Love,

-jeff