[OSGeo-Discuss] What Open Government can learn from us Open Source folks

Marc Vloemans marcvloemans1 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 02:28:23 PST 2018

Hi Cameron,

Great to have such comprehensive argument in writing. The deadline of 15th March allows me only to jot down some quick notions.

The business/market side of things is relatively underrepresented, while being essential for project sustainability. Could I suggest the following.

Open collaboration on eg code in/by governmental bodies requires explicit interaction with ‘the market’. And that is precisely where gov bodies/agencies usually are or feel or should be hamstrung.

This is entails some notions (some of these touched upon, but may need to be made more explicit);
- most gov organisations simply don’t have the tech skills in-house to participate on a technical level with (or instigate) Dev communities
- or capabilities to otherwise engage with communities
- these orgs have to rely on external experts; most notably service suppliers
- or build their internal expertise, which will be difficult, expensive and not the ‘core business’ of government
- in any case, gov bodies have to go beyond traditional supply-demand interactions
- while safe guarding pre-competitive behaviour
- OS foundations usually provide that environment of necessary vendor-neutrality (besides the elements of meritocracy etc you mention) and pre-comp interactions

I feel your doc would benefit from the extra angle where you address public-private collaboration with a particularly view as to the ‘how’. The ‘why’ and ‘what’ of the argument depend on that. Unless the practicalities are addressed it is (too) easy for sceptics to just say ‘no’.

My two cents

Kind regards,
Marc Vloemans