[OSGeo-Discuss] [Geo4All] Draft of Open Letter on the importance to protecting independent peer review frameworks for Scholarly publications of Scientific Associations

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Jul 25 04:18:36 PDT 2018

Hi Christian,

I will also connect you  to Prof. Michael P. Peterson  (University of Nebraska at Omaha, USA) so you can get more inputs and ideas . Michael is a distinguished academic . He is currently Chief Editor of one of the  GIS journals  . He also served as chair of the ICA’s publications committee from 2011-2015 and he helped start many of the journals of ICA.

Michael  emailed me few weeks back alerting me to lot of low quality and dubious submissions that his journal (it is not an ICA journal)  is receiving . They all were coming from  a particular country and asked for my advice . Though he did not provide me details, I trust his experience and wisdom .  I respect his conscience and courage to look into the problem (rather than ignoring it like many) . I think this is a problem that many Chief editors of journals today are facing.

Even if the Chief Editors can’t share individual paper details , my suggestion is that they all need to share summary data and statistics to help us understand the scale of the problem. Only Chief Editors of journals can do this as only they will have full picture. Individual reviewers may be aware of the problem but they  do not have full picture. We also need all the Scientific Associations to take strong stand on this and put in a unified action plan.

In my humble opinion, Scientific Associations/Organisations are the guardians of Science. Hence my plea to all of them to please ensure they all take steps to protect the integrity of Science.  They can only do this if they themselves put in strong structures for openness and transparency in decision making at all levels.

I am hoping all Scientific Associations will  join forces to find solution to this as it is global problem.  As I clearly told this is not an ICA problem or any vendor problem or one organisation problem. It is a global problem and everyone (Scientific organisations, academics, vendors, publishers, governments) need to join forces to help find solution . I am hoping  all Scientific Organisations will work on an action plan to help on this.

Best wishes,

Suchith