[OSGeo-Discuss] [OSGeoLive] Suggestions for a background image for next OSGeoLive - with an African theme

Maelle Vercauteren mavercau at ulb.ac.be
Sun Jul 29 08:01:25 PDT 2018

 Hello,

I take this occasion to share this map of Africa that I like. It was Africa
if colonialism had not occurred as imagined by Nikolaj Cyon :

https://www.cyon.se/#/alkebulan-1260-ah/

If the Africa Local Chapter and the Dar es Salaam LOC likes it too, we
could try to contact the artist and see if we can use it...

Kind Regards,
Maë//e

> Or an historical noncolonial or postcolonial map of Tanzania or Dar es
> Salaam? Or is this even a concern? I would like advice from the LOC. It
> would be great to give Dar es Salaam the same prominence (OSGeoLive
> background) as previous FOSS4G hosts.
>
> The Africa list rejects email from nonsubscribers such as myself.  :-(
>
> Kind regards,
> Ben.
>

> On 29/07/18 04:15, Astrid Emde (OSGeo) wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Ben you are with your comment.
>>
>> What do you think instead about an actual OSM Map from Dar Es Salaam -
>> that shows how great the region is mapped
>> https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/-6.8049/39.2472
>>
>> or maybe a nice photo instead of a map.
>>
>> Astrid
>>
>> Am 28.07.2018 00:17 schrieb Ben Caradoc-Davies:
>>
>>> I love historical maps. However, maps have been both the tool and
>>> emblem of colonisation, by which Africa has been particularly badly
>>> affected. The choice of an historical map of Africa for the OSGeoLive
>>> background must be informed by the actions of those who used it and
>>> their impact on the people of Africa, as well consider of the
>>> current-day appropriateness of the labels used on the map. I would
>>> follow the advice of the Africa Local Chapter and the Dar es Salaam
>>> LOC.
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Ben.

> Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben at transient.nz>
> Director
> Transient Software Limited <https://transient.nz/>
> New Zealand

Maëlle VERCAUTEREN DRUBBEL
Coordinatrice du stage SIG Libres ARES

Université Libre de Bruxelles - IGEAT (CP 130 / 03)
Campus du Solbosch
Av. F. D. Roosevelt, 50
B-1050 Bruxelles
Tél.: 02/650.68.14 Fax: 02/650.50.92 Local: DB6.143