[OSGeo-Discuss] PlanetOSGeo revamp

Jorge Sanz xurxosanz at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 09:13:49 PST 2018

On 5 March 2018 at 16:24, Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 03, 2018 at 06:33:21PM +0100, Jorge Sanz wrote:
> >
> > https://planet.osgeo.org/new_planet/
>
> It is weird that the "Read more..." link is at the top of
> the excerpt rather than below, can it be moved ?

I preferred to put it on top. On the bottom forces you to scroll if you
want to collapse it again. Ideally it should be inside the post (so
betweent the second and the third paragraph) but to be honest I didn't
wanted to spend more time parsing DOM elements and better work on other
things (like removing all the invalid blogs) U_U

> Is it possible to avoid embedded images ? Or the posts
> from gvSIG "International call for gvSIG Association
> products/services distributors " comes with a huge image.

My approach (since this was all pure JS code) was to only parse the first
level of DOM elements. Since images are inside paragraphs and in general
other images where not that bad*, well I thought it was good enough. The
planet is always going to be a bit messy since it's an aggregation of all
types of contents, it's impossible to have a consistent look.

* I can remember for example a graph from one of PaulR posts

> Last issue I see is the presence of non-english posts,
> but I don't think you can do anything for them at the
> planet configuration side.

Same, we capture the language of the posts when people apply, but the
software itself does not allow any type of filtering. Personally I like to
see posts in all languages because it shows the diversity. And this
approach of collapsing the posts help to go through those you don't
understand quickly, as you'd do in your RSS reader.

Thanks for your feedback Sandro.

--
Jorge Sanz
http://twitter.com/xurxosanz