[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo 101 workshop at FOSS4G 2019

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 11:14:28 PST 2019

Hi Jachym, I like the idea of a OSGeo 101 workshop. Ideally it can be
developed into a continuously maintained workshop which can be regularly
presented to new users at global and local FOSS4G type events.

It would be great to align OSGeo 101 with OSGeoLive material. Reasons:

* OSGeoLive has grown with a primary purpose of helping first time users
learn about OSGeo products.

* OSGeoLive has a community behind it which is updating material every
year - making it a sustainable initiative.

* OSGeoLive has a translation pipeline - meaning your material could be
translated into other languages.

* I suspect you'd benefit from using the OSGeoLive distribution as a
platform to present from.

* The OSGeoLive lightning overview,
https://live.osgeo.org/en/presentation.html , could either be
referenced, or incorporated, depending on the focus you take.

* We have also been talking about a related "introduction to OSGeo
projects" workshop, which would aggregate ~ 5 to 10 of the OSGeoLive
Quickstarts. The bonus would be that the material is already created,
and the rigour applied to testing a workshop should improve the quality
of our Quickstarts. It could help Quickstarts align around common use
cases, making them easier to learn.

* What you are mentioning about teaching how to join OSGeo communities
would dovetail well.

While I don't have the bandwidth to play a significant role, I can help
with some periphery tasks - maybe review content for readability or similar.

Warm regards, Cameron

Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254