[OSGeo-Discuss] Interest in open source Graph Tracing Tool

Vicky Vergara vicky at georepublic.de
Sun Jan 27 08:51:48 PST 2019

Hi Frank:

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 3:41 AM Frank Maes <frankenmaes at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is an inquiry regarding the interest in an open source Graph Tracing
> Tool.
>

> The Flemish Environmental Agency (VMM) has invested in an improved graph
> tracing tool. The tool is build on top of the JGraphT [1] library and
> offers the following features:
>
>    - Ability to trace paths on a topological network (graph)
>    - Capable to detect and handle loops in the network
>    - Supports creation of a single graph/network from multiple data sets
>    - seaming between multiple datasets can be logical (via linked keys) or
>    spatial
>    - Supports aggregation of diverse properties along the path (e.g.
>    total dirt load for a path in a sewer system)
>    - Generic via configuration - supports any form/structure of dataset
>    as long as it represents a valid graph. Specific configurations can be
>    adapted using generic config files.
>    - REST interface to access the tracing engine and retrieve results
>    (can be used in web context)
>    - Tracing result is a graph representation in JSON
>

> In VMM this tool is being used to calculate for a given point the upstream
> or downstream path in a network of sewer lines, rivers and canals.
>
> In terms of user interaction and required skills the tool can be best
> compared with tools like Geoserver (without the extended GUI). This means
> that it is a standalone software packaged as a war or docker image. After
> installation, a user with decent understanding of spatial data, graphs and
> basic computer skills can independently configure the application to
> generate the graph/network and perform graph analysis. No programming or
> advanced sys admin knowledge is required.
>

> VMM now considers to release the tracing tool as an open source tool and
> therefor seeks feedback and information regarding this idea.
>
> Is there an appetite in the OSGeo community for such a tool?

I feel very hungry, in particular because the project I am on, is about
graphs algorithms.

> Would you or your organisation be interested in using such a tracing tool?

Are there any suggestions, ideas, tips regarding this?

I will rephrase this 2 questions into one and give an answer to the
rephrased question:
Would this tracing tool can be part of OSGeo?
This question can be answered by the Incubation committee that you can find
at
incubator at lists.osgeo.org

> Are you aware of any open source initiatives or tools that can offer synergies
> with this tracing tool?

Short answer: pgRouting
Long answer: (the why)
I was looking at your documentation, and for example:

https://jgrapht.org/guide/UserOverview#graph-algorithms
"Here’s an example of running strongly connected components and shortest
path algorithms on a directed graph:"

pgRouting has:
http://docs.pgrouting.org/2.6/en/components-family.html#components
pgRouting is written in C++ and the focus is that is to be used within
postgreSQL database
So even that we might have similar functions the focus are different and
languages are different,
the  objective "Graphs" is the same.

Really looking forward to hear back from you.

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Cheers
>

> Frank
>

> [1] https://jgrapht.org/