[OSGeo-Discuss] Convert file to RINEX

Pierre Abbat phma at bezitopo.org
Wed Nov 27 00:08:15 PST 2019

On Thursday, 24 October 2019 19.14.04 EST Pierre Abbat wrote:
> Is there free software to convert a raw GPS data file to RINEX so that I can
> send it to OPUS? The file is collected by a Champion receiver, the
> extension is .GNS (all caps), and the file begins "ZHD COLLECTED DATA FILE2
> ver 90.0".

I found out who makes the antenna and the file format (Hi-Target). I emailed
them, asking for a program (preferably one that runs on Linux) to convert the
file to RINEX, or a specification of the file format.

Over a week later, they sent me a link to a Debian package. It is the worst
constructed Debian package I've ever seen! The executable and a whole slew of
libraries are stuck in a bin directory, somewhere inside /application, which
does not exist. Some of the libraries have no version number. Some come with
the system. Synaptic refuses to list the installed files; I had to use the
dpkg command. There's a symbolic link in /usr/local (not listed in the
installed files) which told me where it's really installed. It's in some
subdirectory of something-or-other called .../application/.

They hadn't even asked me what distro I'm running. It's Ubuntu, so I could
install it. But when I tried to run it, it complained about a missing library.

I wrote back, pointing out some of the errors in the package, and asking for
the source code so that I could compile it on my box. They wrote back and
pointed me to the Windows version, saying that they could not give me source
code "due to security agreement."

I'd like to get the specification of the file format so that I can write a
converter, but I suspect it's proprietary. How should I approach them?

I have a feeling that they don't understand English well. They're Chinese, and
when they sent me the link to the .deb, the website was in Chinese. I saw a
button with "δΈ‹" and another character, and figured it's the download button.

Pierre
--
I believe in Yellow when I'm in Sweden and in Black when I'm in Wales.