[OSGeo-Discuss] Policies to help reduce Digital Feudalism

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Sat Oct 19 13:02:10 PDT 2019

Earlier this month I asked some queries on Digital Feudalism to help me learn more after reading an article by Prof. Mariana Mazzucato on this topic. Details at  http://lists.codata.org/pipermail/codata-international_lists.codata.org/2019-October/001306.html

Lot of good ideas have been shared by colleagues in response to this. I would like to share summary updates on the discussions to help reduce Digital Feudalism at the CODATA mailing lists, so we can get ideas to develop policies to reduce Digital Feudalism. CODATA is the Committee on Data of the International Science Council <https://council.science/> .

Digital Feudalism is going to affect everyone in our planet, so it is important that there are policy and frameworks to reduce Digital Feudalism. I think it is important to get opinions from all different perspectives to help us understand more - from scientists perspective, student perspective, educator perspective,  Billionaire vendor owner perspective, government perspective, SME perspective, startups perspective, Parents perspective etc.

Mark Parsons has provided a good summary of discussions till now at http://lists.codata.org/pipermail/codata-international_lists.codata.org/2019-October/001372.html

I understand that the International Science Council  is shortly to launch a major initiative on Global Data Governance (that will deal with many of the issues raised). I thank International Science Council  for their leadership and welcome this development  and I will provide my full support for this. It is important that the science community takes lead on this and develop guidelines. I request that colleagues provide support and contribute to International Science Council’s initiative once more details are announced .

So how can we contribute to develop policy frameworks to help reduce Digital Feudalism in GIS/EO Cloud Platforms?

I am grateful to everyone who contributed their ideas and inputs.

Best wishes,

Suchith

attachment.

where permitted by law.