[OSGeo-Discuss] US Library of Congress Recommended Formats Statement

Brett Edmond Carlock synper311 at aol.com
Tue Aug 4 13:48:28 PDT 2020

Hello All,
Not sure if you're aware of the US LOC RFS, but it is a document here in the states that many look to for setting and determining standards for data storage, archival, and dissemination.
The current Geospatial and CAD segment, is in my opinion, a bit of a mess. Our dear friend GeoPackage is never once mentioned by name, nor even tangentially, much to my confusion.
Vector:
Shapefile leads the recommended specs, but GPKG isn't even an acceptable. Furthermore, where are SQLite/Spatialite (which elsewhere LOC recommends for database artifacts)?
Raster is a little less black-box, but not much:COG isn't mentioned, though IMO it should be, nor is a Geopackage-stored Raster, which even ArcGIS Desktop supports.
Vector+Raster is a bit more concerning:Once again, Geopackage is an obvious omission, though they might be hinting at it in 3A/3B.
This document is currently maintained by one Miss Rachel Trent (rtrent at loc.gov). I was planning on writing her briefly to kindly express my concerns that Geopackage isn't more prominently recommended nor even listed as an acceptable format. I'm sure there is a process that was followed to vet the formats on this list, but I just can't reconcile the guidance document with what I know from practice and theory of the values of the different formats. Has anyone here been involved in this process or similar before? Am I perhaps just missing something obvious? To be clear, I'm not looking to hassle anyone or cause a fuss with this line of inquiry.
I don't know if you know anyone at OGC or elsewhere who might wish to lend their voice. Perhaps a statement or two from someone like Even Roult or Howard Butler (or others who worked to draft the Geopackage spec) would carry more weight than mine. Maybe even a friendly nudge from OGC? I'm not sure whom is most appropriate to ping with this type of thing, but I thought I'd reach out to you all regardless.
Thanks as always,Brett