[OSGeo-Discuss] checking closure of legal descriptions

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 08:25:01 PST 2020

OSGeo is a community of folks making use of and developing open source
applications.

What you are describing is a very difficult issue (and a request I have
seen before). Indeed I watched a good presentation on the topic at one of
our foss4g events.

I do not know of any open source team working on managing legal boundaries,
perhaps others here would be interested in joining you.

On Sun, Jan 26, 2020 at 2:52 AM Pierre Abbat <phma at bezitopo.org> wrote:

> I'm surveying a lot and had to check the legal description against what I
> found on the ground to find if a certain iron was right (it wasn't). The
> legal
> description doesn't close, so I tried to find the surveyor who drew the
> map
> that the legal description was drawn from. I searched the web for his name
> and
> contacted the company I found. A few days later, I got a response that all
> his
> maps are at another company, and I should contact either of two surveyors,
> both of whom I know, to get the map. A few more days later, one of these
> surveyors emailed me the map.
>
> I have to search the chain of title back to when that map was drawn. So I
> searched the local GIS and downloaded deeds. The oldest one has six errors
> in
> it: "at" is misspelled "a1", "et ux" (and wife) is misspelled "el ux", the
> lot
> is between two streets originally named Delta and Della one of which is
> misspelled "Delia", "north" is misspelled "worth", and two short segments
> were
> left out of lines in different directions. Subsequent lawyers corrected
> the
> typos and misused the word "sic" in correcting "Delia", but none of them
> checked the closure and corrected the two segments.
>
> I think that a tool that could take a pasted legal description, parse it,
> draw
> it, and check for closure would be useful to lawyers. What do you think?
> Does
> it fall within the scope of OSGeo?
>
> Pierre
> --