[OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4G for cartography production

Adam Steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 15:03:11 PDT 2020

Hi Sergio

Look at inkscape as a post-QGIS labelling and map tweaking system if you
need vector work and typography: https://inkscape.org/

GIMP is for image processing grunt (like Adobe photoshop):
https://www.gimp.org

Both are excellent tools for professional print production.

Searching 'QGIS and inkscape' there are many tutorials :)

Regards,

Adam

On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 at 02:04, SERGIO ACOSTAYLARA <
sergio.acostaylara at mtop.gub.uy> wrote:

> Hi. Where I work we need to find an open alternative to ArcGIS in order to
> produce maps for printing. We were trying with QGIS but we have problems
> with labeling linear elements. Is there anyone in the list that has
> experience with preparing maps for printing with open source software? Does
> anybody know what is the best FOSS4G for doing this? Tutorials?
>
> Thanks,
>

> Sergio Acosta y Lara
> Departamento de Geomática
> Dirección Nacional de Topografía
> Ministerio de Transporte y Obras Públicas
> URUGUAY
> (598)29157933 ints. 20329/20330
> http://geoportal.mtop.gub.uy/

Dr. Adam Steer