[OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4G for cartography production

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 17:22:04 PDT 2020

On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 at 02:04, SERGIO ACOSTAYLARA
<sergio.acostaylara at mtop.gub.uy> wrote:

> Hi. Where I work we need to find an open alternative to ArcGIS in order to produce maps for printing. We were trying with QGIS but we have problems with labeling linear elements.

I'd be very curious to hear more about this -- particularly if you've
got example screenshots you can take!

> Is there anyone in the list that has experience with preparing maps for printing with open source software? Does anybody know what is the best FOSS4G for doing this? Tutorials?

As others have pointed out, QGIS is really the only choice for
professional cartography in the open source realm, unless you want to
dive in and do things manually... But the good news is that QGIS
**has** a very strong cartographic following, and many many users and
developers who are passionate about making it the best cartographic
tool available (see eg https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/37840). If
you've good suggestions on how to improve QGIS' cartographic
abilities, you should definitely submit them to the project for
consideration.

Nyall