[OSGeo-Discuss] Testing on multiple versions and upgrading

Pierre Abbat phma at bezitopo.org
Mon Jun 15 00:30:14 PDT 2020

Bezitopo 0.1.3 I tested on both Xenial and Artistic. I was developing on a
laptop called caracal, which was running Xenial, and had bought a new laptop
named mooncat, which came with Artistic. Is there much sense in testing a
program on two releases of the same OS? (I also test programs on BSD and
Windows. I used to test Bezitopo on a Raspberry Pi, but a Pi is too small for
serious work with PerfectTIN.)

I'm in the process of upgrading Linux boxes, now doing my mail server. I'm
going to upgrade mooncat from Bionic to Focal and puma (new devel box, more
RAM and more threads) from Eoan to Focal. However, I'm also waiting for two
users to report on PerfectTIN 0.4.1 before I release it. One spent all day
Sunday cleaning a point cloud which he's going to convert to a TIN and called
me, exhausted, before flopping into bed; the other hasn't downloaded it yet.
Should I wait until I release it to upgrade my devel boxes?

When Gorilla comes out, should I upgrade both devel boxes, leave one at Fossa,
or leave both at Fossa and wait for the next LTS version?

Pierre
--
The gostak pelled at the fostin lutt for darfs for her martle plave.
The darfs had smibbed, the lutt was thale, and the pilter had nothing snave.