[OSGeo-Discuss] Free licensed alternative to ESRI map fonts

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue May 5 08:13:37 PDT 2020

Nyall,

for my understanding, and hopefully help others, I assume the issue is that you have a style
definition where there are tuples of (font_identifier, symbol_identifier_in_the_font) to
define the styling of layers with point geometries, right ?
Or possibly some dataset layers whose fields also are characters which are the
symbol_identifier_in_the_font (that is each feature points to a different symbol), but the
whole layer field uses a single font ?

If that's only the former, then assuming there would be N open fonts already covering the
whole set of ESRI symbology fonts (unlikely), one could possibly create a mapping between
each tuple of (ESRI_font_id, ESRI_symbol_id) to (OPEN_font_id, OPEN_symbol_id). If the
later, then you need a complete replacement for each proprietary font.

How many symbols / fonts are we discussing about ?

Even

http://www.spatialys.com