[OSGeo-Discuss] Free licensed alternative to ESRI map fonts

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Tue May 12 22:48:54 PDT 2020

Note this is quite the legal trap, many governments have contributed to
these fonts, and then are not in a position to use the result with open
source software such as GeoServer (even though we have TTF symbol support).

Specifically for the US fonts above it may be possible to source the
original marks directly from the departments involved via public domain,
and then as a citizen contribute marks. You can see gvsig working on this
kind of issue here
<https://blog.gvsig.org/2013/06/03/gvsig-2-0-forestry-symbol-library/>.

--
Jody Garnett