[OSGeo-Discuss] OGC certification fees - Is there a common agreement with OSGeo

Gobe Hobona ghobona at ogc.org
Fri Oct 23 11:19:27 PDT 2020

Régis,

The OSGeo-OGC Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) is still in place [https://www.osgeo.org/wp-content/uploads/MOU_OSGeo_20081201.pdf <https://www.osgeo.org/wp-content/uploads/MOU_OSGeo_20081201.pdf>]

However, neither the MOU nor the Compliance Testing Policy [https://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=55234 <https://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=55234>] allows us to exceed the limit on Reference Implementations. The policy has not changed since 2013.

The fee is only waived for:

* The first three implementations to pass 100% of the compliance procedure, while the test is in beta. We refer to these as Early Implementers.
* The first two Reference Implementations that pass the test related to a conformance class within a version of an Implementation Standard.

In this case, the executable test suite of OGC API - Features - Part 1: Core is already in production (i.e. it is no longer in beta).  Please also note that there are already two current Reference Implementations of the standard.

Both the Reference Implementation and Early Implementer routes continue to be available to OSGeo projects. However, there are terms and conditions as documented in the MOU and Policy documents.

QGIS Server can still be registered on the Compliance database as implementing OGC API - Features - Part 1: Core, just not certified as OGC Compliant for that standard. If an organisation that is using or contributing to QGIS Server needs it to be certified, please do let us know and we can look at getting the certification funded through that organisation.

Regards,

Gobe

Gobe Hobona, PhD MRICS
Director of Product Management, Standards | Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC)
Tel: +44 744 409 6781
ghobona at ogc.org | ogc.org | @opengeospatial

 <https://www.ogc.org/webinars>