[OSGeo-Discuss] best practices vector tile features and content

karsten karsten at terragis.net
Thu Oct 21 12:43:35 PDT 2021

Hi All,

after working 'for ages' with PostGIS, MapServer, WMS and  OpenLayers and
while I have dabbled with vector tiles a bit e.g. see in this benchmark of
T-Rex and MapServer
https://blog.sourcepole.ch/assets/2019/mvtbench-foss4g19.pdf   am finally
ready to embark on using vector tiles in a production project for the first
time.

I would like to create my own custom vector tiles for a project and am not
sure how much data I should dump all together into the same set of mbtile
vector tile files.
For example I would want create a base map using OSM source data and its
seems to work pretty ok to have all of these features in one series of the
mbtiles. Now when I am adding other data such as soil maps, rainfall in mm,
geology units and so on as layers this question arises:
Should I just dump all (or several) of those into the same set of mbtile
files as well? Technically it seems that that should be possible to style
even that on a map, but I am no sure it it would be advised to do so.

Is there anyone that has some thoughts or best practices to share regarding
this ?
I was also wondering if there is a recommended /advised / ideal maximum
number of feature per tile ?

Thanks
Karsten

Karsten Vennemann