[OSGeo-Discuss] Board meeting summary - 12 December 2022

Adam Steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 03:15:30 PST 2022

Hi OSGeo people, friends, neighbors

The OSGeo board of directors met on 12 December 2022, making an
out-of-schedule meeting to catch up on our agenda. Minutes are here:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2022-12-12

This was the last meeting as a director for Michele Tobias - please
join us in thanking Michele for her wisdom and insight for the past
two years (insert applause and cheering here). And we look forward to
her ongoing engagement in the OSGeo community!

To the meeting itself - almost half of the allocated hour was taken up
in discussion about trademarks. As an outcome, we are generating some
guidelines for projects about the process, and how to get support from
OSGeo if it is something they want to do. We also discussed trademarks
for OSGeo and FOSS4G, those are ongoing - needing careful thought and
input from the community.

Codrina has developed a template for organisations wishing to form an
MoU with OSGeo. This will be placed on the OSGeo wiki, after which the
board will make a motion to formally adopt it. Related to this, we are
revising our MoU with UCGIS [1], which will be reformatted into the
new MoU template. The GISwater organisation [2] has also requested an
MoU, however we felt that as GISwater is now an OSGeo community
project [3], a separate MoU is not needed.

The board ratified the conference committee’s decision to fund the
2022 OSGeo Oceania travel grant program, after a request from the
committee chair to do so [4]. This has been paid already.

The final discussion in the allotted time was about reviving or
creating a new OSGeo organisation in Europe. This will assist with
funding from European organisations, and create a local focus for the
European community.

Discussion about sponsorship opportunities, and curating the to-do
list, was pushed to the next meeting - scheduled for 29 December 2022,
16:00 UTC. You’re welcome to attend here:
https://meet.jit.si/OsgeoBoard, and the agenda proposal is here:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2022-12-29

Regards,

Adam Steer, on behalf of the OSGeo Board

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/MOU_UCGIS
[2] https://giswater.org/
[3] https://www.osgeo.org/projects/giswater/
[4] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2022-December/005885.html