[OSGeo-Discuss] [OSGeo-Conf] Poll: Change FOSS4G structure to have some continuity of organization and management

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Thu Feb 3 07:53:41 PST 2022

Hi Maxi and all,

On Thu, Feb 3, 2022 at 7:15 AM Massimiliano Cannata <
massimiliano.cannata at supsi.ch> wrote:

> Dear conference community,
> why is the community left out from this decision / discussion?

All are free to discuss and have been for years.

> The FOSS4G conference is a property of OSGeo, and therefore of the
> community as a whole.
> The conference committee has not been elected so cannot decide in
> representation of the community.

The Conference Committee was created by the Board (which is elected) and
operates under authority delegated by the Board.  The Board is free to
change or revoke that authority and to even dissolve the committee.  This
is more or less how all OSGeo committees and projects operate.

> As an OPEN community I strongly believe that all the charter members (at
> least) should have a word or vote on such an important decision.

We don't vote on which features get developed on our favorite projects or
which pull requests get accepted.  Projects have operating procedures for
those matters and committees operate much the same way.  If you want to
change this structure, it would probably start at the Board.

Best regards, Eli