[OSGeo-Discuss] [OSGeo-Conf] Announcement: Call for Location global FOSS4G 2023

Michael Smith michael.smith.erdc at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 07:44:50 PST 2022

I would say that its probably best to think about Hybrid, as this is what is happening for 2022. Essentially you are both right, there are pluses and minuses to each. And we want to support both going forward as there isn’t going to be an approach that works for everyone. Future FOSS4Gs will probably all part virtual and in-person.

Note this is my personal opinion.

Mike

--

Michael Smith
US Army Corps / Remote Sensing GIS Center

On 1/12/22, 10:28 AM, "Discuss on behalf of Iván Sánchez Ortega via Discuss" <discuss-bounces at lists.osgeo.org on behalf of discuss at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

    El miércoles, 12 de enero de 2022 15:26:05 (CET) Jonathan Moules via Discuss
    escribió:
    >  > we really hope that FOSS4G2023 can be safely
    >  > organized in physical format.
    >
    > Why?

    Because we humans are social animals; and people like me, who are almost
    completely burnt out by not having been outside of their houses for nearly two
    years, could really use an in-person event to see their friends and their
    personal heroes.

    I'm not gonna attack Jonathan's points (or even reply to them, risking an
    episode of sealioning to erode my patience), but I want to make one of my own:

    It's good for our collective mental health. We *want* an in person event, we
    *hope* for it; which for me is a sign our brains have some demand for it, even
    if it's intangible.

    --
    Iván Sánchez Ortega <ivan at sanchezortega.es> https://ivan.sanchezortega.es