[OSGeo-Discuss] Conference selection transparency (Was Announcement: Call for Location global FOSS4G 2023)

Jeroen Ticheler jeroen.ticheler at geocat.net
Thu Jan 13 07:41:07 PST 2022

My philosophy is and hopefully will always be that we have trust in the committee members that do the voting. They all put in their time and more importantly their heart. Whatever method you come up with, bias and personal preferences come into play. I trust in the people/members + the guidelines as we already have them. Sometimes the result is unfavorable for myself, most of the times it fits what the majority of the community (of like minded people working on FOSS) is happy with. Which one is more important?!
Merit is what a lot of trust within the FOSS community is based on. It is a core value of OSGeo and FOSS4G from my point of view.
Cheers, Jeroen