[OSGeo-Discuss] Making UK a science superpower - The urgent need for ensuring the right to quality education opportunities for the 4.2 million children currently living in poverty in the UK

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Aug 8 12:09:57 PDT 2023

Dear colleagues,

I am interested to learn more about the UK government's plans and slogan on “becoming a science superpower”.

‘Science superpower’ plan risks making UK bureaucracy superpower, says peer. Author of Lords report says government’s approach ‘feels like setting off on a marathon with your shoelaces tied together’  Details at

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2022/aug/04/science-superpower-plan-risks-making-uk-bureaucracy-superpower-says-peer

https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa-jisc.exe?A2=OER-DISCUSS;d28fa3cf.2308

Looks like “becoming a science superpower” is a slogan to hide the real issues on poverty, cost of living crisis impacting millions of families in the UK.

There is also an urgent need to expand the free school meals scheme (including during the school holidays) as part of reform of education.

Best wishes

Suchith