[OSGeo-Discuss] [Board] EU Cyber Resilience Act - potential impacts on open geospatial software?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Aug 18 16:35:01 PDT 2023

> However you do not have to be the distributor -

Wondering if I'd be a "manufacturer" instead ? There are many
obligations for the manufacturer in the CRA...

"manufacturer’ means any natural or legal person who develops or
manufactures products with digital elements or has products with digital
elements designed, developed or manufactured, and markets them under his
or her name or trademark, whether for payment or free of charge;"

So because of the end precision, "markets them under his or name or
trademark", maybe not me, but the project / OSGeo itself.

> the customer self-serves from the open-source distribution. In this
> case the project - specifically the steering committee (acting on
> behalf of osgeo) are on the hook for a lot of these reg requirements.

That's a major issue. Members of steering committees are unpaid
volunteers. They are more or less active. With our current organization,
they are not in a capacity to face regulation requirements. Basically
that would mean that projects should have salaried members, at least
part-time, to do that.

--
http://www.spatialys.com