[OSGeo-Discuss] Fwd: I Love Free Software Day 2024: Forging the Future with Free Software

Vicky Vergara vicky at erosion.dev
Tue Dec 26 22:07:32 PST 2023

Hello everyone

This might be of interest.
Regards

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Tommaso Marmo <tommi at fsfe.org>
Date: Thu, Dec 14, 2023 at 7:31 AM
Subject: I Love Free Software Day 2024: Forging the Future with Free
Software
To: <info at osgeo.org>
Cc: Bonnie Mehring <bonnie at fsfe.org>

Dear Open Source Geospatial Foundation Team,

The Free Software Foundation Europe (FSFE) is a charity that empowers users
to control technology.

Each year, on the 14th of February, the FSFE, together with Free Software
organisations around the globe, celebrates “I love Free Software Day”: a
celebration to all the contributors to different Free Software projects, be
them large or small. We celebrate those advocating for Free Software and
those who support Free Software in any other way, and we show our
appreciation to the countless contributors of software freedom.
Furthermore, we take advantage of this opportunity to promote our favourite
type of software: Free Software.

Imagine a Free Software community that is friendly and welcoming. A Free
Software community that cares about the contributions made by its members.
Such Free Software communities already exist out there, and we all can
become like one of them by simply saying “Thank you for your contribution”.
A simple thank you can motivate others to keep contributing, can encourage
new people to participate and form a friendly and welcoming community. With
a simple ‘Thank you’ you can share your appreciation of Free Software and
its contributors. Free Software is software that needs people caring about
it. Be part of the ‘I Love Free Software Day 2024: Forging the future with
Free Software’ and share your appreciation for Free Software.

For the “I Love Free Software Day 2024: Forging the future with Free
Software” we want to focus on involving young generations in Free Software.
On this day you can organise an event targeted for younger people to
highlight their contributions to Free Software.

For more ideas on how to participate in the upcoming “I Love Free Software
Day 2024: Forging the future with Free Software”. Here are some suggestions:

* create a short video with a “Thank You” message to your favourite Free
Software project on your mobile phone, for example. You can share this via
your preferred social media channel with the hashtag #ilovefs.
* create a Sharepic with our Sharepic Generator of yourself and include a
personal “Thank You” message. The Sharepic can be uploaded on your
preferred social media platform with the hashtag #ilovefs.
https://sharepic.fsfe.org
* Organise a local get-together with your colleagues, friends, or family to
celebrate and recognize the work of the contributors of Free Software.
Reach out to your nearest local group (
https://fsfe.org/community/groups.html) for a meet-up.
* Order for free some ilovefs balloons and posters! Take pictures and share
them on social media with #ilovefs.
https://fsfe.org/contribute/spreadtheword.en.html#ilovefs
* Order for free some ilovefs postcards to send to your favourite Free
Software project or contributor:
https://fsfe.org/contribute/spreadtheword.en.html#ilovefs

For more information, ideas, and inspirations see our I Love Free Software
activity page: ilovefs.org.

The “I Love Free Software Day” is an important tradition for the Free
Software community. The more people participate, the more we can show how
significant the contributors and the developers of Free Software are to our
society. Take a few moments on Wednesday, 14 February 2024, and show your
love for Free Software!
Share the knowledge about Free Software and spread the word about the four
freedoms: Use, Understand, Share, and Improve.

Thank you!
If you have any questions feel free to reach out to us at any time.

Kind regards,
Tommaso Marmo and Bonnie Mehring

--
Tommaso (Tommi) Marmo - Intern - Free Software Foundation Europe
Schönhauser Allee 6/7, 10119 Berlin, Germany | t +49-30-27595290