[OSGeo-Discuss] CUGOS Spring Fling 2023

karsten karsten at terragis.net
Mon Feb 27 13:23:22 PST 2023

Hi FOSS geospatial aficionados,

After a long hiatus since the CUGOS "Fall Fling" 2019, we are excited to
announce the CUGOS Spring Fling 2023 !
Please mark your calendars for Friday, April 21 and Saturday, April 22
2023. Registration will open on March 21 once the agenda has been
established.
Details can be found at  <https://cugos.org/2023-spring-fling/>
https://cugos.org/2023-spring-fling/.

We need your submissions:
The "Call for Proposals" is now open and you can submit proposals for
talks/presentations via a web form at  <https://forms.gle/fXFtj2hnG6PYyLuN9>
https://forms.gle/fXFtj2hnG6PYyLuN9 until March 10th.

Cheers
Karsten

Karsten Vennemann
Among other things current CUGOS president

---- For a long and potentially boring explanation - aka what CUGOS and
"Spring Fling" is see below -------------

The Cascadia Users of Geospatial Open Source (CUGOS) was formed in 2007.
CUGOS acts as the  <http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Cascadia> Cascadia Chapter of
the  <http://www.osgeo.org/> OSGeo Foundation.  We are an active group of
members who are passionate about open source software, GIS, and our region.
We have members from all walks of life, a large spectrum of business and
academia, and active OSGeo members (board members, charter members, and
active project participants).

It is a non-profit organization in Seattle focused on building a community
around open source geospatial tools and practices see also
https://cugos.org/about/. CUGOS has been around for nearly 15 years,
providing a space for folks to share their work and passion for maps.

This year we're holding the Spring Fling on April 21-22 2023, a two-day low
cost event bringing together academics, professionals, students, and
enthusiasts for a series of talks about Pedestrian/Bike/Transit Access, Open
Source Geospatial tools, open data, and Social Justice in and beyond the
Puget Sound region. The first day will be the main conference day with
presentations about open source GIS projects (e.g. such projects might
include but are not limited to: QGIS, PostGIS, MapServer, GDAL/OGR and
OpenLayers, see also https://www.osgeo.org/projects/), the second day will
be a volunteer OpenStreetMap (OSM) Hackathon in conjunction with the
OpenSidewalks  <https://tcat.cs.washington.edu/opensidewalks-2/> Project.
More information to be added on the web page  soon.

For Spring Fling we are are currently putting together the program. If you
are interested in giving a presentation head over to our
<https://forms.gle/fXFtj2hnG6PYyLuN9> Call for proposals page. The final
program will be announced on March 21st and registration (donate as you
wish) will open. If in the meantime you are looking for inspiration on what
to expect in our program you are welcome to check out the schedules of these
previous CUGOS Fling events:

*	2015  <https://cugos.org/2015-spring-fling/2016>
https://cugos.org/2015-spring-fling/

*	2016  <https://cugos.org/2016-spring-fling/>
https://cugos.org/2016-spring-fling/

*	 <https://cugos.org/2017-spring-fling/> 2017 Spring Fling

*	 <https://cugos.org/2019-fall-fling/> 2019 Fall Fling

We are also in the process of building these grants from donations from
corporate sponsors  <https://cugos.org/grants/> https://cugos.org/grants/