[OSGeo-Discuss] EU Cyber Resilience Act - potential impacts on open geospatial software?

Adam Steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 14:20:22 PDT 2023

Hi OSGeo

The European Union's proposed Cyber Resilience Act has just come to the
attention of many non-EU folks as a potential dampener on open source
geospatial software development and usage. A summary from GitHub is here
(thanks Marco Bernasocchi for pointing it out):

https://github.blog/2023-07-12-no-cyber-resilience-without-open-source-sustainability/

 It's being discussed in the OSGeo board, and some responses from other
open source organisations have already been made, for example:
https://newsroom.eclipse.org/news/announcements/open-letter-european-commission-cyber-resilience-act

It would be great to hear your thoughts on the impact of the proposed
legislation on open source geospatial software development across the
globe  - so we can form an appropriate community response as soon as
possible. What are your thoughts?

Yes, we're late in gettung our attention on to this. Hopefully not too
late.

Thanks,

Adam

--