[OSGeo-Discuss] G20 New Delhi Declaration - Harnessing Artificial Intelligence (AI) Responsibly for Good and for All

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Sep 14 02:12:28 PDT 2023

Dear colleagues,

The United Nations welcomed the adoption of the G20 New Delhi Leaders’ Declaration, describing it as an example of effective leadership at a time of great divisions in the world. Details at https://news.un.org/en/story/2023/09/1140547

I would like to congratulate India’s G20 Presidency for the leadership to build consensus that lead to the landmark G20 New Delhi Declaration.

Details at https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2023/09/09/g20-new-delhi-leaders-declaration/

https://www.g20.org/en/

The African Union was made a permanent member of the G20 at the New Delhi G20 Summit .This will be a right step towards a just, fair, more inclusive and representative global architecture and governance. India is a strong believer in having a greater Voice of the Global South countries on international platforms, particularly of African countries.

African Union has been working on key data policy guidelines for many years which might be interest for the wider global community . It is important to get the inputs from all countries in Africa and the Global  South for any discussions on international governance for AI. The voice of the Global South is of great importance in discussions on international governance for AI.

Video of the announcement at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JrIXKRdAEE

More details at https://www.reuters.com/world/g20-admit-african-union-permanent-member-new-delhi-summit-draft-declaration-2023-09-09/

I want to specifically thank India for bringing in the voice of the Global South in all G20 discussions. India hosted the Voice of Global South Summit under the theme – ‘Unity of voice, Unity of purpose’ from January 12-13, 2023. It was a new and unique initiative that envisaged bringing together countries of the Global South and share their perspectives and priorities on a common platform across a whole range of issues.

Details at https://mea.gov.in/voice-of-global-summit.htm

The G20 Chief Science Advisers’ Roundtable Meeting Outcome Document and Chair’s Summary might be of interest

https://pib.gov.in/PressReleasePage.aspx?PRID=1953043

The G20 Chief Science Advisers meeting summary has referenced the UNESCO declaration on Open Science, CARE Principles for Indigenous Data Governance etc. I think this is an excellent development.

I want to thank India for leadership in Responsible AI. The New Delhi G20 Declaration states

Harnessing Artificial Intelligence (AI) Responsibly for Good and for All

“The rapid progress of AI promises prosperity and expansion of the global digital economy. It is our endeavour to leverage AI for the public good by solving challenges in a responsible, inclusive and human-centric manner, while protecting people’s rights and safety. To ensure responsible AI development, deployment and use, the protection of human rights, transparency and explainability, fairness, accountability, regulation, safety, appropriate human oversight, ethics, biases, privacy, and data protection must be addressed. To unlock the full potential of AI, equitably share its benefits and mitigate risks, we will work together to promote international cooperation and further discussions on international governance for AI. To this end, we:

  *   Reaffirm our commitment to G20 AI Principles (2019) and endeavour to share information on approaches to using AI to support solutions in the digital economy.
  *   Will pursue a pro-innovation regulatory/governance approach that maximizes the benefits and takes into account the risks associated with the use of AI.
  *   Will promote responsible AI for achieving SDGs. “

India’s G20 Presidency will end in November 2023. India has proposed a virtual session of G20 in November end, to review the subjects of this New Delhi G20 summit.

One of the first outcomes from the New Delhi G20 Declaration is the  International Conference on Open and FAIR Data Ecosystem Principles, Policies, and Platforms (11th - 13th September 2023) in  New Delhi which brings together policy makers , scientists and experts from all over the world to share ideas and discuss ways forward. The Principal Scientific Adviser to the Government of India gave the Inaugural address to this important conference. More details at https://www.pkc.org.in/openfairdataconf/

I want to thank all the organisers and Knowledge Partners of the conference esp. the International Science Council’s Committee on Data (CODATA) and the Government of India for this timely conference and inviting me to present on the importance of data ethics at this conference.  I shared information on the  Data Ethics in  Education Campaign. The African Association of Universities (AAU), the University of Nottingham, and the Ethical Data Initiative launched the Campaign for Data Ethics in Education in Summer 2023. The Campaign advocates for the integration of data ethics in all higher education courses focused on data science and research. It aims to educate the next generation of data and research professionals about their legal and ethical obligations when it comes to using, reusing, and sharing data. More details at https://ethicaldatainitiative.org/2023/05/26/successful-launch-to-the-campaign-for-data-ethics-in-education/

India is the incoming Council Chair of the Global Partnership on Artificial Intelligence.  29  international partners (including  USA, EU, Germany are members) have joined together to guide the responsible development and use of artificial intelligence, grounded in human rights, inclusion, diversity, innovation and economic growth.

The Global Partnership on Artificial Intelligence Summit 2023 will be in New Delhi ,India on 12- 14 December 2023 . Ministerial Council will be on 13 December 2023. More details at https://gpai.ai   This will be another opportunity for India to use its leadership position in Responsible AI to bring together all countries on international governance for AI.

The idea of ‘One Earth, One Family, One Future’ is resonating across the world. This human-centric approach has been welcomed by all. The New Delhi G20 Summit will chart a new path in the human-centric and inclusive development.

Best wishes

Suchith

Dr Suchith Anand

Senior Adviser to Governments and International Organisations | Scientist | AI Ethics | AI Governance | Policy | Consultant in Data and AI Ethics | Global Citizen | SDG Volunteer and Advocate

https://council.science/profile/suchith-anand/

https://www.rd-alliance.org/users/suchith-anand

https://ethicaldatainitiative.org

This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee and may contain confidential information. If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete the email and attachment. Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not necessarily reflect the views of the University of Nottingham. Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored where permitted by law.