[OSGeo-Discuss] Memorandum For Members and Affiliates of the Intergalactic CIVIC Network

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Mon May 27 17:42:03 PDT 2024

Hi Folks,

After spending a lot of time building networks & systems - including
things like military sims & municipal broadband networks - I find myself
trying to organize a community scale "suburban redevelopment" effort -
essentially crowdsourcing an infrastructure master planning &
redevelopment program for a collection of aging subdivisions.

I'm trying to build on developments in the crisis response arena, and
the work of folks like the Open Planning Project (and some of my own
work at The Center for Civic Networking) to launch a new generation of
"community networks" and plant the seeds for a wave of "suburban
redevelopment."

I figure that folks in the OSGEO community are right smack in the
demographic that's ready, willing, and able to roll up our sleeves and
start rebuilding our corners of the world.  I ask you to join me.  Or at
least take a look at what we're up to.

Here's a memo I've been distributing, inspired by Licklider's original
memo, kicking off what become the Internet.  And take a look at
civic.net - which currently redirects to a kickstarter that provides
some details of what we're up to.

I look forward to you reactions - and, hopefully, to some of you getting
involved.

Best,

Miles Fidelman, Chief Engineer, Civic.Net

--- this just went out to a select group of email lists --- also check
out "civic.net" ---

My Fellow Internet Engineers,

In 1963, JCR Licklider wrote his famous "Memorandum For Members and
Affiliates of the Intergalactic Computer Network" - calling together
what ultimately evolved into the IETF - and bringing the Internet into
existence, largely by demand pull.

A few years later, in 1968, he and Bob Taylor wrote "In a few years, men
will be able to communicate more effectively through a machine than face
to face" and Stewart Brand opened the Whole Earth Catalog with the
words, "We are as gods and might as well get good at it" - and then we
proceeded to wire the world, and build ourselves the beginnings of a
hive of minds.

Now it's time to put both the net, and what we learned while building
it, to work, rebuilding all of our other infrastructure.

Today, I call for a Community Engineering Task Force, and
community-level /*Engineering Working Groups *- /with the goal of
launching a wave of infrastructure overhaul in our communities, from the
ground up, akin to the transformation of campus & enterprise networks
that stemmed from our work, building & deploying the Internet. *And I
ask that you join me in launching /Civic.Net, as a network of local
working groups.

/*--- Background ---

A little history:  In 1992, the net opened to the public, people started
calling for "Electronic Democracy" and "Electronic Town Halls" - and l
left BBN, recruited a few intrepid souls to launch The Center for Civic
Networking, with the notion of bringing IETF-style "rough consensus &
running code" to bear, as a way to reinvent town meeting government
(thank you to the Boston Computer Society, and then President Tracy
Licklider, Lick's son, for our initial funding).  We ran some
experiments - supporting a series of hybrid town meetings, in Cambridge,
on "sustainability & growth planning" -
and ended up focusing on infrastructure development - the first
high-speed Internet in a public library (courtesy of Steve Cisler &
Apple's Library of Tomorrow Program, Continental Cablevision, and PSInet
- thank you Bill Schrader).  Then the USDA paid us to build one of the
first e-markets, and then came the Telecom Act - and I was off helping
local governments defend their rights-of-way from rampant construction,
and launching municipal broadband networks.

Now, I find myself on the Board & Long-Range Capital Planning committee
of an aging condominium complex - as we struggle to find a model for
comprehensive overhaul and upgrade for our buildings, grounds, utilties
- in concert with our immediate neighbors.  60 years ago, William Levitt
developed the model for building, and financing, suburban subdivisions -
now a lot of our communities are falling apart, and we face the
challenge of "fleet modernization" for subdivisions of multi-family
buildings.  And if you think herding cats to build the Internet was (&
remains) a challenge, just try getting a condo board to think about a
"big dig" in miniature (a "tiny dig"), and motivating lots of players
towards a "Flag Day."

I've come to believe that following the Internet model, creating "demand
pull" from the edges (owners, residents), and crowdsourcing, are the
only viable way forward, for rebuilding suburban America, before we see
more catastrophic system failures like Flint MI's water system, North
Andover's exploding gas mains, Miami's Champlain Towers crumbling into
the Atlantic while their board rearranged deck chairs by the pool.

And the need is urgent - I've been hearing more and more horror stories
about skyrocketing operations & maintenance costs, people getting socked
by multiplying condo fees, and of insane assessments to cover major
renovations.

--- Current Activities ---

*We've launched a fledgling **/Community Engineering Working Group,
/**here on Nagog Hill, in Acton, MA* - and are busily recruiting
participants from our condo complex, our neighbors, and the shopping and
office park adjacent to us.  Our goal is to run a serious infrastructure
planning exercise - the kind that cities, towns, college campuses,
military bases perform - but that stop at the borders of private
developments. Inside, the task falls to condominium boards, property
managers, homeowners associations - groups that function as local
governments & public works departments, without the know-how, staff, or
vendor support to carry out the job.

I'm bringing my experience in big-system business development, and
community development, to bear, and *seeking**help from the broader
community.*  Our goal is to run a prototype /planning & acquisitions
//experiment/ - starting with soliciting vendor demonstrations (can you
say "bidders' conference" or "Interop-like trade show & shownet
exercise."  The goal is to figure out how to solve our problems, and
finance the exercise - building on our experience in building the
Internet, and more recent experience in volunteer crisis response
(crisis mapping, fire jumping), grass-roots driven community development
(Community Foundations, Community Development Corporations &
Initiatives, Habitat for Humanity, Burning Man), do it all "on camera" a
la "This Old House" ("This Old Subdivision"), and develop an ecosystem
to support other communities seeking to replicate our work (think a
cross between the /Whole Earth Catalog/, the /WELL, /the IETF
Secretariat, crowdsourcing platforms, and "grand challenge" exercises).

--- *And We Need Your Help//*/--- /

Right now, I'm an Army of one - as organizer of our local working group,
project engineer, and a cross between John Postel & the folks at CNRI in
supporting an ad hoc engineering & planning process.

I've been busily recruiting some advisors & academic support (an IAB
equivalent), and now I'm trying to pull together a larger base of
supporters - an audience for "This Old Subdivision," collaborators,
vendors, sponsors, organizers & working groups in other communities.

It's all very amorphous right now - as when Lick first issued his
/Memorandum/ - or when Torvalds posted his "I'm building a unix clone"
news post.  I've launched a Kickstarter - mostly as a focal point from
which to launch a blog, podcast, journal, membership network - and
generate some seed money.  [I've been funding this out of my pocket -
but I'm all in - going full time, and hiring some staff, is beyond my
resources.  I figure that 2500 "subscribers" or "members" - at $10/month
will go a long way (as would a few corporate sponsors, a la the IETF or
W3C).]

So... I encourage folks to visit civic.net - which redirects to
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mfidelman/civicnet-network-we-must-to-fix-our-future
- read about what we're doing, tune in, turn on, sign up, get on the
bus, get with the program.  NETWORK WE MUST, if we hope to survive in
this new millenium of ours!

And... if you're seriously interested - want to get something going in
your community, have a solution to offer to communities, want to help me
make this whole thing happen, are in a position to get us some press or
other visibility - please contact me directly!

Miles Fidelman
Civic.Net

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown