[OSGeo-Edu] FreeGIS Book

P Kishor punkish at eidesis.org
Mon Aug 14 07:56:37 EDT 2006

a good democracy only functions under a great leader...

On 8/14/06, Allan Doyle <adoyle at eogeo.org> wrote:
..

> On Aug 13, 2006, at 10:00, P Kishor wrote:
> [...]
>
> > At that point, the wait will be over, and Allan will migate the book
> > from Eogeo to this new server.
..

> I feel compelled to address the meme of "Allan ... migrate"... The
> content should be migrated by the authors as they see fit, not by me.
> I'm merely the "caretaker", if that, of the current Free GIS Book site.

I did not meme to volunteer you for the lead. ;-)

That said, as long as the individual contributors can and are willing
to schlep the content from one place to another without it
degenerating into chaos, whatever works "is" the best way to do it. On
the other hand, as Markus has so kindly directed us to mediawiki's
import/export capabilities in another email, it might be better for
one person to simply handle the migration. We will engage in whatever
is the easiest.

..
> Multilingual - sure, it's nice, but no one will edit in more than one
> language, I suspect. It would be nice to have the ability to handle
> other languages, yes.

I agree. Many things are nice, but the price to pay in making them
happen can be a show-stopper. It would be great to have one book in 17
languages, but hey, if I decide to write a book in Sanskrit, and it is
not translated into Kannada, at least we have one book in Sanskrit
instead of none in any.

> Integration in to OSGEO's "gestalt" - again, a great thing but
> secondary to 1 and 2. This could be achieved with "look" - colors,
> logos; and "feel" - same base software.

Well, this is a rather important one as it adds to the collective
presence of us. That said, yes, in our case the gestalt indeed
comprises the look as far as the consumer is concerned. And image is
relatively easy to manipulate.

> I think we can take the luxury of thinking about this for another
> week or two. This is vacation/holidays season in at Europe/N. America
> so the pressure is not so high. I'm going away from this Thursday-
> next Thursday...

I must be in the wrong continent... no vacation for this lad for 9
months now. Enjoy your time off, drink a beer for the book.

Nelson Inst. for Env. Studies, UW-Madison http://www.ies.wisc.edu/
Open Source Geospatial Foundation https://edu.osgeo.org/