[OSGeo-Edu] FreeGIS Book

Markus Neteler neteler.osgeo at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 10:01:21 EDT 2006

On 8/14/06, Ari Jolma <ari.jolma at tkk.fi> wrote:
> Allan Doyle kirjoitti:
> >
> > I would also like to hear Ari's opinion, he was one of the most active
> > participants on the previous edition and may have a multilingual
> > perspective that is more compelling than mine.
> >

> My multilingual needs are not that much, sometimes officially things are
> needed in finnish, swedish, and english but at least they all use latin
> characters. There's no problem requiring people to read english material
> in universities in Finland, I suspect that is not the case in some
> bigger non-english speaking countries or worlds.
>
> Gary Watry's books are a good test for the platform to write our
> material I think. Plus code and equations should be easy too.

If that's of interest: for the GRASS tutorials we have created an
SVN based repository (tutorials are written in Latex):
 http://www.gdf-hannover.de/translation

The original German version was translated to English, later to
Czech, French and Simplified Chinese. Get Latex and PDFs from above
link. This shows that such things are possible, but efforts were done
by a few people here.

Markus