[OSGeo-Edu] Certification of Gary's course

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Sun Aug 27 15:57:52 EDT 2006

Hi all,

I believe Ari and I both thought it was fine. Not sure if others chimed
in.

> What are the implications for OSGeo having its logo appear as
> endorsing a course?
>
> What vetting does a course need to go through before OSGeo's logo can be used?
>
> Who will do the vetting?
>
> Is this a case-by-case, ad hoc process, or does this need to be formalized?
>
> We have many practicing academics on this list. Please give us your
> informed opinion.
I guess a main concern in the long term would be if the course wasn't
somehow a quality course and its implications/reflections on OSGeo. It
raises the question of whether course content should be peer reviewed
prior to being OSGeo sanctioned.

But the more important right now to OSGeo is probably getting
*something* out there and it certainly appears like Gary is doing great
things. I will want to do a similar thing this fall, and would be happy
if there was some peer-review of the material we are developing.

So regarding Puneet's last question: maybe we do a case-by-case for the
next year, maybe, with then the idea that it eventually gets more
formalized? I'm finding in my open source programming collaboration
research that formalized processes are seen as barriers to
collaboration. Right now, I think we want to keep the number of hoops
people need to go through to contribute minimal.

But at the same time, we want to develop a culture of good, high quality
work, so we should all try to provide positive, constructive feedback if
something looks like it needs some improvement. For example, Gary, I
might be interested in using some Map Window material, eventually. If
you allow that (which I'm certain you will... you've been so helpful
already!) and I think there are things that might help a module, I'll
try and suggest them or update them myself with your permission.

My two cents for what they are worth.

Associate Professor
- Department of Natural Resources Conservation (www.umass.edu/nrc)
- Center for Public Policy and Administration (www.masspolicy.org),
- Associate Director, National Center for Digital Government (www.ncdg.org)
University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003
Phone: (413) 545-1824
Website: http://people.umass.edu/cschweik