[OSGeo-Edu] Re: OEGEO Logo

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Mon Aug 28 00:41:09 EDT 2006

I think we still have a few issues to work through around this:
1) We have no existing certification programme, so this would be the
first time the education group has put our stamp on anything.
2) We have no list of requirements for curricula to meet for
receiving our stamp.
3) We have to develop standards so that other projects will be able
to also know whether we would endorse them or not.

What would our endorsement mean?  Without clear requirements, it is
meaningless.  If it is something that we were move involved in
creating, it would be much easier, of course.

I'm not saying we shouldn't endorse Gary's course but I feel like we
haven't got ourselves organised enough yet to do this in a meaningful
and reproducible way.  It is something that I, personally, think we
need to get a handle on first.  Of course Gary's work is useful and
valuable - so how do we best get behind him to support that work
while at the same applying a longer term vision for the idea of
certification?

Does this make sense or am I needlessly throwing up barriers?

Interested in other thoughts...
Tyler