[Geowanking] Perl Geospatial Content (and other gems?)

Andrew Turner geowanking at highearthorbit.com
Mon Aug 28 14:27:44 EDT 2006

Mateusz Loskot <mateusz at loskot.net> wrote:
> I wonder if there is anything like CPAN for Python, is there?

- Python has CheeseShop:http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi
- Ruby has RubyForge (http://rubyforge.com), which acts like CPAN
- Java, Lisp, SmallTalk, C++, Obj-C ?

> Some time ago, I had an idea to translate Perl GIS modules to Python
> and put them to something like CPAN for Python.
> So far, I only translated Walter Mankowski's
> Geo::Coordinates::DecimalDegrees
>
> http://mateusz.loskot.net/software/gis/pydecimaldegrees/
>
> I'd be interested in scripting GIS modules repository contribution.

I would think the result would either be a table of "problems" and
solutions like the Wiki page Ari made (I tabelized it), or a "GeoZoo",
akin to O'Reilly's CodeZoo (http://www.codezoo.com/) that lists
various Geo-specific libraries and tools in various languages. So I
can just do: "KML export in C++" or something

--
Andrew Turner
ajturner at highearthorbit.com        42.4266N x 83.4931W