[OSGeo-Edu] TIGER and status on my FOSS GIS course materials

Gary Watry watry at steam.coaps.fsu.edu
Fri Dec 8 11:25:10 EST 2006

Take a look at http://www.diva-gis.org/Data.htm

    Free GIS data

*Country level data <http://www.diva-gis.org/data/DataServer.htm>*
(Altitude, Land cover, Population density, Administrative boundaries,
Gazetteers)

*Global/continental level data*

    Administrative boundaries for: The world
    <http://www.diva-gis.org/data/misc/world_adm0.zip> (also includes
    some rivers and populated places)
    Americas <http://www.diva-gis.org/data/misc/Americas_adm0.zip>
    (North America
    <http://www.diva-gis.org/data/misc/NorthAmerica_adm0.zip> - South
    America <http://www.diva-gis.org/data/misc/SouthAmerica_adm0.zip>),
    Asia <http://www.diva-gis.org/data/misc/Asia_adm0.zip>, Africa
    <http://www.diva-gis.org/data/misc/Africa_adm0.zip>See also (the
    International Taxonomic Database Working Group's world geographical
    scheme <http://www.rbgkew.org.uk/gis/tdwg/index.html> for recording
    plant distributions).

*Global climate data: * Download these here
<http://www.diva-gis.org/climate.htm>

*Species occurrence data:*  GBIF <http://www.gbif.org>, HerpNET
<http://herpnet.org>, MaNIS
<http://manis.mvz.berkeley.edu/pres/PresentationServlet?action=home>,
OBIS <http://www.iobis.org/>, ORNIS <http://ornisnet.org>, REMIB
<http://www.conabio.gob.mx/remib_ingles/doctos/remibnodosdb.html?>,
SINGER <http://singer.cgiar.org>.

*Near global 90 meter resolution elevation data: *Download here
<http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/>

*Satellite images*

    High resolution images (LandSat) for nearly all of the world can be
    downloaded here <https://zulu.ssc.nasa.gov/mrsid/>. They are in the
    * MrSid* format that can be visualized in DIVA-GIS (note: they are
    in UTM projections, so you will need to project your shapefiles as
    well).

Charlie Schweik wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 11:15 -0500, Gary Watry wrote:
>
>> TIGER Data is built off  the U.S. Census data and covers just the U.S.
>>

> Yeah, I was pretty much certain that was the case. I'm just trying to
> think about various international "data inputs" to GIS related to
> social/demographic data and wondered if there was any census data
> standards emerging in the EU or elsewhere or if all countries appear to
> be doing this differently.
>
> Thanks for your answers (Ari and Gary)
>
> Cheers
> Charlie

The information transmitted is intended solely for the person or entity for which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged information.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.

Gary L. Watry
GIS Coordinator
Center for Ocean-Atmospheric Prediction Studies
FSU / COAPS
Johnson Building, RM 231
2035 East Paul Dirac Drive
Tallahassee, Florida 32306-2840