[OSGeo-Edu] [Fwd: Sorry can't make it]

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Fri May 12 10:44:41 EDT 2006

I just wanted to add one more thing I am puzzling over:

Over the summer we hope to start moving toward teaching material using
GRASS. I am an experienced ArcGIS, ERDAS Imagine and ENVI user, but am
new with GRASS. I am also new with Linux. My research assistant is
looking into the GRASS plug-in for Quantum and I've read that the next
release should have more functionality than the current release. I'm
teaching undergrad and grad students in natural resources conservation
fields and in public policy and administration. I'm trying to get them
introduced to Linux and open source. We have a lab here using Ubuntu and
I've got some support from IBM to maintain it. But I am finding some
hesitation of students (in non technical fields) toward using Linux.

So one of the questions I am puzzling now is regarding platforms --
should we write course materials (specifically if this material is being
made available through this collaboration) for Wndows, Linux, or both?
Much of the material won't need to know this, other than for file
management. But the beginning of the course would need to provide some
information on this.

So, the short question to the group, regarding curriculum that might use
QGIS or GRASS, any advice on this platform issue?
I'm assuming globally, writing for Windows is probably important,
although I know Linux is gaining ground, particularly in Europe.

Thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers

Charlie Schweik