[OSGeo-Board] mpg's China trip report

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Wed Oct 4 18:05:12 EDT 2006

> (International and Edu folks: please see the last section of that
> page,about thinking about helping an exchange program -- any
> interestin this
> someday?)

Thanks Michael!  I look forward to reading it.

I think an exchange programme is a very good way of advancing knowledge of open source and building up knowledgeable users, developers and implementors.

I've also had this dream of establishing a more formal apprenticeship programme around geospatial concepts and tools, but I see some successful student exchanges as being just as valuable in the short term.  The apprenticeship idea takes the whole "GIS Certification" idea and makes it much more hands-on and 'real' - like many other professionals do.

Tyler