[OSGeo-Edu] Free and open source your documentation efforts

Przemysław Bojczuk przemyslaw at bojczuk.net
Sun Oct 8 17:27:06 EDT 2006

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> watry at steam.coaps.fsu.edu wrote:
> > Quoting Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com>:
> > The following meets that criteria - Right??
> > Noncommercial. The user may not use this work for commercial purposes.
>
> Gary,
>
> No, I don't think so.  If this condition was applied to a software license
> it would make the license not fit the free software definition (ie. it would
> not be OSI certifiable).

And actually Creative Commons licences are not OSI-certified (as far
as I know), the NonCommercial part of therm being the most important
obstacle (but I think it's a very useful part, for the reasons
I mentioned in previous posts - otherwise we would simply be stuck with
"full" copyrights and nothing else from many authors).

There was a discussion in early days of Wikipedia and Creative Commons
about the use of CC on wiki, which ended with only using the materials
that were licenced under CC by-sa, as they're (more or less) compatible
with GPL (being the main licence of Wikipedia). So if the aim is to only
use the "truly free" materials, I guess OSGeo would have to go the same
way.