[OSGeo-Edu] Re: Input please

Gary Watry watry at steam.coaps.fsu.edu
Tue Oct 10 11:14:22 EDT 2006

This is close to what I want.(it seems to force it to stay free and not
proprietary)
The GNU Free Documentation License, described in this article, applies
to documents the same requirements of reciprocity applied by the GNU
General Public License to software. That is to say, it requires that
derivative works (modified versions of the original work, or works
otherwise based on the original work) be licensed only under the GNU
FDL. This is the so-called "viral" effect of the GNU system of licenses:
works licensed under a GNU license, works derived from those works,
works derived in turn from such derivative works, and on and on, can
only be licensed under the GNU license under which the original work
itself was licensed.

I don't want this
By contrast, the Open Publication License and the Open Gaming License,
which will be discussed in the next two articles, follow the path of
academic licenses such as the BSD and MIT licenses, at least in some
variations, permit derivative works to be distributed under other
licenses, including /_proprietary licenses_/, so long as certain
conditions are complied with, mostly relating to providing notice of the
name and publisher and the license applicable to the original work.

This may work

  The GNU General Public License (GPL)

--
Gary L. Watry