Translation portal for tutorials - was: Re: [OSGeo-Edu] Re: Logo

Markus Neteler neteler.osgeo at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 10:41:36 EDT 2006

On 9/21/06, Ari Jolma <ari.jolma at tkk.fi> wrote:
> Charlie Schweik kirjoitti:
> > Based on past conversations, I've been developing my stuff on a wiki
> > thinking that the OSGEO edu wiki would eventually link to my materials,
> > or that I would maintain my "version 1.0" of my curriculum to keep it
> > stable and then provide the content to OSGEO to host under some kind of
> > "new derivative works OK" license.
> >

> books are better on a SVN and courses perhaps on wiki

During the eduBOF at Lausanne I tentatively announced the
availability of GDF Hannover's [1] "translation portal" [2] to
OSGeo which is now confirmed. We (GDF) want to move this
"portal" out due to changes in the personnel. It currently contains
two documents:

A) GRASS 6 Tutorial (ca. 150 pages, GFDL'ed)
  - V1.1: German, Czech (Vietnamese forthcoming)
  - V1.2: German, French, Simple Chinese (Italian hopefully forthcoming)
  This also covers QGIS, SQL etc.

B) GRASS-in-a-nutshell (35 pages, I would prefer a CC license for it)
  - English, French, Spanish

Download: http://www.gdf-hannover.de/media.php?id=0&lg=en

Both documents are written in Latex and maintained in SVN. A
migration should be fairly easy. A related mailing list is available
there.

We would not mind to do the migration in the near future if
OSGeo/eduCom is interested.
In future such a portal could grow with a Web based software to enable
software message translations (GRASS supports to some extent 16
languages [3], working on .po files doesn't scale up well for multiple
translators).

Best regards
Markus

[1] (my/our) small company in Germany