[OSGeo-Edu] call for an IRC meeting Friday, July 20, 2007

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Thu Jul 19 09:48:28 EDT 2007

Hi OSGEO edu members,

If others can make it I'll try and attend the chat tomorrow. I have a
conflict that I am trying to shift. If I don't attend (I hope to) a phd
student who works with me maybe can attend (Alexander Stepanov) -- I'm
checking with him.

Puneet - It might be good to resend the IRC chat location for people who
may not have attended before and for people like me who have forgotten
it!

Regarding the IRC agenda:

1) I'd like to see if we can schedule a face-to-face meeting (dinner
maybe?) of people in the edu group who will be at FOSS4GEO. It would
also be good (sometime in the next month) to get an agenda for such a
meeting -- Issues that should be discussed.

2) Issues related to my posting of tutorials to OSGEO edu

**Finally**, we are now ready to post our tutorials on QGIS v.8,
PostgreSQL and GRASS plug-in material to the OSGEO edu site. We ran an
online course over the spring semester. The modules were reviewed by
members of the UMass team and also were used by some of the students, so
they are in decent shape I think.

We also have a course syllabus and recorded lectures too on things like
georeferencing concepts on a complementary website, but I am not
comfortable posting those because I am not 100% sure all copyright
issues are taken care of. So we're going to provide only the tutorials
that are on the wiki site below. You can see the material at:

Userid: foss
Password: umass

Note: two modules we had planned to do were not completed. But I hope to
get them completed sometime in the future.

So my questions for tomorrow:

A) Should I just link the OSGEO edu site to this wiki, or do we want to
try and start moving some tutorial content over to the OSGEO edu site
directly? It raises the issue (again) of peer review, and OSGEO
"trademarking".

B) Can we develop some system to allow for new derivatives of such
work?

Cheers
Charlie Schweik
UMass Amherst, USA